- Text is the basic element of multimedia. It involves the use of text types, sizes, colors and background colors.
- In multimedia, text is mostly use for titles, headlines, menu, paragraph, list etc.
- In a multimedia application, other media or screen can be linked through the use of text. This is what you call Hypertext.
- The most commonly used software for viewing text files are Microsoft Word, Notepad, Word pad etc. Mostly the text files are formatted with , DOC, TXT etc extension.
- It is a digital representation of non-text information, such as a drawing, chart, or photograph.
- Graphics make the multimedia application attractive. They help to illustrate ideas through still pictures.
- There are two types of graphics used: bitmaps (paint graphics) and vectors (draw graphics).
- Bitmaps graphics also called raster graphics. A bitmap represents the images as an array of dots called pixels. Bitmap graphics are resolution-dependent and generate large file sizes.
- Vectors graphics are images drawn on the computer with software that uses geometrical formulas to represent images and only require a small amount of memory.
- Video is the technology of electronically capturing, recording, processing, storing, transmitting, and reconstructing a sequence of still images representing scenes in motion.
- Photographic images that are played back at speeds of 15 to 30 frames a second and the provide the appearance of full motion.
The use of video:
- The embedding of video in multimedia applications is a powerful way to convey information which can incorporate a personal element which other media lack.
- Promoting television shows, films, or other non-computer media that traditionally have used trailers in their advertising.
- Giving users an impression of a speaker’s personality.
- Showing things that move. For example a clip from a motion picture. Product demos of physical products are also well suited for video.
- In multimedia audio means related with recording, playing etc.
- Audio is an important components of multimedia because this component increase the understandability and improves the clarity of the concept.
- Audio includes speech, music or any other sound.
The use of sound:
§ Attention grabber
§ Sound effect
- Animation is the rapid display of a sequence of images of 2-D artwork or model positions in order to create an illusion of movement.
- It is an optical illusion of motion due to the phenomenon of persistence of vision, and can be created and demonstrated in a number of ways.
- Entertainment multimedia titles in general, and children’s titles specifically, rely heavily on animation.
The use of animation:
- To attract attention
- To inform about the state of process
- Interactive simulations